=?iso-8859-1?Q?synaptic_issues,_and_few_other_?s?=

This is my first laptop install and i am having trouble in the area of
the touchpad. First though hardware, the laptop is a compaq presario
2108us(2800+ mobile athlon xp).
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00208230

I was finally able to get X to start up after fiddling around with the
mouse section. In the end though this was the only way i can get X to
even come up. However the problem lies in that X freezes up or is not
even usable. Essentialy i move my finger along the touchpad, itll take
a minute to move, and/or blurred lines will appear at the top of the
screen.

Heres my XConfig, any other parts needed just ask-

Section "inputdevice"
      Identifier        "Configured Mouse"
      Driver            "Mouse"
      Option            "CorePointer"
      Option            "Device"     "/dev/input/event0"
      Option            "protocol"   "ImPS/2"
Endsection

ls /dev/input shows
event0 event1

i have also install xfree86-drivers-synaptics, and input synaptics under
drivers and got

configured mose no synaptics event device found checked 12 nodes
query no synaptics: 0000
configured mouse no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
configured mouse unable to query/initialize synaptics hardware
preinit failed for input device configured mouse
no core pointer

for the kernel im using 2.6.11-1-k, and havce acpi=on and apm=on, tried
turning both off and didnt make a difference

Other questions have a general guide as how to configure this laptop
tips/suggestions

thanks in advance.