Re: dpkg database rebuild

Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> If I copy the whole filesystem to another hard drive and rebuild the dpkg
> database, will it work ? Will dpkg be able to understand all the packages
> installed ?

What about

dpkg --get-selections
dpkg --set-selections

RTFM, dpkg(1)

Or you can use (which is my preferred way):

aptitude search '~i !~M' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' ' > installed.txt

Then simple editing of installed.txt will make you script to install the
same packages on new computer.

Best,

Matej

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang
separately.
   -- Benjamin Franklin