Re: Debian Linux on Samsung P30 or P35

I've found your mail via googling for "Samsung p35 Linux", and I
thought I could answer your question, since I own a P35 and run
Debian on it.

The only thing that doesn't work for me yet is Suspend-to-RAM, but I
haven't looked into this at all. Matthias Hentges[1] reports
that it works in a very hacky way, but I've no idea how hard it is
to make suspend-to-ram real-world usable.

Everything else works fine: LAN, WLAN (via the ipw2200.sf.net
driver), the Radeon (the vanilla one, not the proprietary thing),
USB, ACPI, Cpufreq, Sound, Touchpad, CD/DVD. I didn't try out the
rest (IrDA, Firewire, PCMCIA, ...), and probably forgot to mention
some more things here.

I have a few custom ACPI events so volume control via the keyboard
works or cpufreq is scaled down when I unplug the power.

What didn't work up to now was swsusp (Suspend to Disk). I tried
suspend2, but stayed with swsusp then because some kernel guy told
me it needed testing anyway ;)

Most things worked fine actually (starting from perhaps 2.6.10, when
I first tried swsusp), just WLAN stopped working after suspending. I
thought it was related to the rather strange WLAN-radio control the
P35 has (most Laptops I've seen have a hardware-only switch that
controls radio on/of, the P35 has some HW/SW mixture going on
there).

However with the latest kernel (some checkout of Linus' git tree
from 2005-09-10, probably something similar to 2.6.13-git10) WLAN
continues to work after suspend. This was quite a pleasant surprise
when I tested that kernel.

So with 2.6.14 suspend-to-disk should finally work completely, also
nice is that the ipw2200 driver got integrated into the vanilla
kernel, so no extra modules are necessary any more.

So all in all I can safely recommend this laptop to people who want
to run Linux on it. The hardware is really well supported by now,
except for suspend-to-ram, which however wasn't a big concern for
me.

HTH,
Christian Aichinger

PS: Please CC: me, I'm not subscribed to this list.
[1]: http://www.hentges.net/misc/howtos/samsung_p30.shtml