Re: Strip down my sarge laptop

Hi Matt,

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 07:05 -0400, Jaroneski wrote:
> What kernel and other things can I get rid of to reduce its ram usage?
> What else and how do I get rid of other things that are loading up in
> RAM as part of the kernel?
> I am using KDE should I switch to something else that OpenOffice will
> work with?

If you want a desktop of any kind, but don't use the more advanced
stuff, try xfce. It should save some memory. If you're really only
running openoffice, then there may no need for a desktop at all.

If you want better advice on what you could do to free some memory, you
should probably post a list of programs that are running (try 'ps ax' or
something like that).

As far as the kernel concerns: That's easier for you to try than for us.
Just remove things until it breaks :-)

Koen