Re: dhclient & switching networks

Nic Ferrier wrote:

>But you're right, it's really a question of getting your sysadmins to
>turn the 192 dhcp server off (or at least give you a static mapping on
>the 142 dhcp server).

If it's rogue, they may not have visibility to it or even know it's there.

Had a video phone doing this garbage once on a network, only when it was
faster to answer than the Windows guy's DHCP servers in the datacenter
did anyone notice, and it took getting a look at one of the affected
machines to really start figuring out what was going on that day...

I got dragged into it and the Unix systems at that employer didn't even
handle the DHCP... it just kept growing into a larger and larger
fire-drill until I and one other person simultaneously went and looked
at some poor businessperson/non-techie's machine to figure out what the
heck was going on.

Then it was the usual, "Okay, who plugged what into where today, folks?"
Inquisition.  That only took about five minutes.  :-)

Nate