Re: Opinions of Sony Vaio VGN-A417S for Debian

Iain Georgeson wrote:
It's not. I've got Debian on my A417M, but it took a considerable
amount of surgery, and I'm still missing support for some fairly handy
bits like suspend and soft keys.

Could you shed some light on what was difficult please? Which version of Debian did you use?

I have seen posts claiming "Sony make the least Linux-friendly" laptops and others where people couldn't get the install CD to recognise the harddisk in a similar Vaio model.

Indeedy. If you want an easy install, don't get it. The display is
excellent, but you may well decide you don't want the hassle.

Do you think Debian support for the VGN A series will improve over time and maybe a future release will be much easier to install?

Anyone know of other laptops with a 17" screen?

Thank you everyone for your time.
Regards,

James.