Re: Opinions of Sony Vaio VGN-A417S for Debian

"James Brown" <jbrown@orange.net> writes:
> My requirements are:
> * Can run Debian
> * Pentium M Processor (For battery life/performance)
> * Large screen (17")
> * Large harddisk (>80Gb)
> * Reasonably high performance graphics card
>
> The only laptop that I can find which fits the requirements is the Sony
> Vaio VGN-A417S:
> http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Computers/Computers/Laptops/230213429/Product.aspx

I've got a A417M, which is similar to the S, but without the bundled
docking station, speakers, remote control and probably a few other
things.

> However, I can't find any evidence that a VGN-A417S is going to be easy
> to install Debian on!

It's not. I've got Debian on my A417M, but it took a considerable
amount of surgery, and I'm still missing support for some fairly handy
bits like suspend and soft keys.

> I have seen posts claiming "Sony make the least Linux-friendly" laptops
> and others where people couldn't get the install CD to recognise the
> harddisk in a similar Vaio model.

Indeedy. If you want an easy install, don't get it. The display is
excellent, but you may well decide you don't want the hassle.

> Can anyone comment on this more specifically please? Or alternatively,
> is there an alternative to the Vaio VGN-A417S which would meet my
> requirements and work with Debian?

However, I didn't find anything which met my requirements as well as
the Vaio A series. Ho hum.

	Iain.