Re: External CRT clone with i810 driver

On Thursday 01 September 2005 14.51, Alexandre Rossi wrote:
> I was just wondering about the best way to clone the LCD display of my
> laptop onto an external CRT. I have an i855GM graphic chipset and I
> use the i810 driver.
>
> I had it worked using i855crt[1] but overlay does not work. The
> documentation of i855crt contains a patch against XFree86 source code
> to have overlay work.
>
> There is also a bug[2] on the xserver-xfree86 package about this.
>
> Looking at the xorg svn web interface, it appears some parts of the
> patch have been included.

Yes, they were. I have upgraded to X.Org for this reason. I tried to use
i855crt to switch between the modes, but I had some problems (but I don't
remember the exact details). Switching modes using the keys Fn+F5 (on my
notebook) stopped to work completely (before with XFree86 it worked but I
got garbage).

What worked for me is to add this to my xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "i810"
        Option          "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
        Option          "Clone"         "true"
EndSection

This works giving me cloned output on the laptop and CRT. Overlay only
works outputs to the laptop, but it can be changed using xv_attr utility
(so you can watch films from a projector ;)

My only problem with this setup is that CRT output is always on. But it is
not really a problem for me. I was hoping to use i855crt to switch between
modes, but it did not work perfectly. I don't remember what was the
problem exactly.

> Following this, I have several questions :
>
> Is i855crt deprecated since the inclusion of X.org in Debian?
I am not sure since switching with Fn+F5 does not work it would be nice to
make i855crt work with it.

> Should bug #285818 be closed?

It definitely needs some updating :)

Regards