External CRT clone with i810 driver

Hi,

I was just wondering about the best way to clone the LCD display of my
laptop onto an external CRT. I have an i855GM graphic chipset and I
use the i810 driver.

I had it worked using i855crt[1] but overlay does not work. The
documentation of i855crt contains a patch against XFree86 source code
to have overlay work.

There is also a bug[2] on the xserver-xfree86 package about this.

Looking at the xorg svn web interface, it appears some parts of the
patch have been included.

Following this, I have several questions :

Is i855crt deprecated since the inclusion of X.org in Debian?
Is there an X way to have the external CRT clone the LCD display?
Should bug #285818 be closed?

Thanks in advance for any clue!

[1] http://i855crt.sourceforge.net
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/285818