Re: cpu throttling--what is it?

Luca Pireddu:
> Could someone explain to me (or point me to where I can find an answer) what
> CPU throttling is?  My sony vaio has 8 CPU throttling levels:

It is a cheap replacement for real performance states (and probably
doesn't give you much additional battery lifetime, if at all). If you
throttle your CPU down by 50%, you can think of it as if your CPU does a
NOOP at every second cycle. So you just lose speed, but your CPU's
temperature may drop a bit. It won't save much power because you still
have the same CPU voltage and you still have the same instructions to
compute. It just takes longer and you need less power to cool your
system.

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree]   [Disagree]