Re: Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0

On Mon, August 29, 2005 2:59 pm, Michelasso said:
> I have notice today that the touchpad of my Acer Aspire 5024 wasn't
> recognized  anymore by the x server as a synaptics one, even if the
> kernel says (according to dmesg) that it is a synaptics one. After
> investigating for a while I have noticed that the device associated to
> it has changed from /dev/input/event1 to /dev/input/event0 according
> to /proc/bus/input/devices. Since in my xorg.con I have the line
>
> Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event1"
>
> of course the server couldn't recognize it. My question is: why has it
> changed?
> (I am sure that before it was event1, I had checked it in
> /proc/bus/input/devices and it worked)
> Could it be due to the installation of a new kernel?

Yes, something might have changed in the input susbsystem probing routine.
To avoid this issue in the future it's advisable to use

        Option  "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
        Option  "Protocol"      "auto-dev"

in your synaptics touchpad InputDevice section, as explained in
/usr/share/doc/xfree86-driver-synaptics.

hth
--
mattia
:wq!