Re: Netgear wg511, 2.6/Sarge - weird?

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 06:53:59AM -0700, Rusty Carruth wrote:
> Ok, I'm playing with a friends Netgear WG511 card under Sarge/kernel 2.6.

I don't have a WG511 to verify this with, but prism54.org's supported cards
list[0] shows your card with 'perfect' status. That suggests to me that it
should work (even in scan mode).

[0]http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php

> It seems to be detected by the kernel as prism54 (when I plug it in I get:

> kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:09:00.0 (0000 -> 0002) kernel: ACPI: PIC
> interrupt 0000:09:00.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10 pci.agent[10191]:
> prism54: already loaded

This looks fine to me.

> The two LEDs on the card do not light.

Who knows -- sometimes LEDs mean things, other times they don't. Could be a
bad sign, though.

> when I run AirSnort, it doesn't see anything (now, I may not be in range of
> my neighbor across the street running a wireless setup, so I may actually be
> working - or maybe he's not using the same band, or whatever).
> (Unfortunately, I do not have a wireless hub here, I'm just trying to get
> his card to work to see if I can do it and prove (to him) that I don't need
> the silly windows drivers from Netgear to get the pcmcia card to work
> (assuming that's possible ;-))

Having a wireless access point would make debugging your issue much easier;
that said, your card should be supported by most recent 2.6 kernels. Which
kernel (exactly) are you running? What's the output of:

    $ uname -r

Have you installed all the wireless packages: wireless-tools, hotplug,
pciutils?

> Has anyone gotten a netgear wg511 with prism54 to work in scan mode under
> debian?  If not, I think I'm going to give up and get to looking for
> something that works - enough of this 'prove stuff' mode ;-)

Tools like airsnort (and Kismet) need the card to be in 'monitor' mode. IIRC,
airsnort/kismet require certain cards to be *manually* put into monitor mode
before your actually run the app (they can automatically change modes only for
certain chipsets...I forget which). With my ath-based D-Link card, I do the
following:

    $ sudo iwconfig ath0 mode monitor
    $ kismet

My kernel: