keyboard problem

when I installed the debian, I had an option to install a predefined list of softwares. Later I can also recall this option by "tasksel". when the selection screen show up, I can move my cursor to each item. BUT after I pressed "Enter", there is no any installation prcess happening, and I simply come back to the original screen before typing "tasksel".
I noticed that if the choice is captured by the system, there should be a "*" sign for that item. but I could never made it.
Can anyone tell me how to make the choice via the keyboard? Mine is compaq presario 2190US laptop.
Thank you!

Do You Yahoo!?