Re: Inoltra: hot pc with low usage

On Friday 12 August 2005 13:42, roberto wrote:
> Hi all, i use a laptop with sarge 3.1 and kernel 2.6.8, but even if i
> do not use any  application, just the system running by itself, then
> after 15 minutes, more or less, the fan starts to run very fast and the
> pc grows very hot.

That the fan starts running means at least that, probably the BIOS, is
keeping the system from getting too hot.

Do you have the packages "acpi" and "acpid" installed? If not I suggest
you try that first.

> 1. how to check the temp of the processor?

You could check in the /proc filesystem. Something like:
$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature

For most systems you can get additional info on fan and temperature by
package. It's not quite plug and play though, you'll need to read the
documentation.

For that to work, the command 'lspci' should show a line similar to this:
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus
Controller (rev 03)

On some systems this device is hidden, and you probably won't be able to
use the sensord package without a lot of effort.

> 2. how to understand what's going no?

Maybe there is nothing wrong. Laptops try to conserve power by not running
things if they're not needed. So the fan only switches on if the
temperature gets too high and will slow down or switch off again if it
cools down. It should not let the system get too hot though.

Cheers,
FJP