[T41] Matching APM functionnalities with ACPI

Hi,

I have APM working, but ACPI
 - is fancier (so they say)
 - would let me capture combos with the [Fn] key (my top motivation is to
   have [Fn][F5] toggle WiFi network)
 - would let me play sounds, display a progress bar, would be more flexible
   when events occur ("because I can")
 - could integrate with a suspend to disk solution (?)

However, I am *far* from matching APM functionnalities so far.

With packages acpi and acpid only, nothing works. With
/etc/acpi/events/lid and /etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh from
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_acpid, suspend to RAM
seems to be back, although *there is no power-on password* anymore, and
I miss it.

Next : the [Fn] key. Instead of describing my different attempts and
successive failures (basically nothing happens), do you know a package,
or a page that would yield a working setup? (thinkwiki? scripts in
IBM-ACPI tarball?)

Software conf: Sarge with a custom (vanila) kernel 2.6.12.3 and in-tree
IBM-ACPI module, and thinkpad-modules as well (any more?). With an
pretty ancient BIOS, if that matters.

grep ACPI /boot/config-2.6.12.3-bs-acpi0 | grep -v \#
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y