Re: Problems with display power management

* Thomas Halva Labella <hlabella@ulb.ac.be> [2005-07-28 10:31:02 +0200]:

> A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> >The question is (I think), how to turn off the backlight via software?
> >This might be an issue of bad firmware (Dell firmware is notoriously
> >linux-unfriendly, not to say buggy) and/or bad ACPI support in same,
> >in which case there might not be an easy solution.  Anyone have a
> >non-firmware-patch fix for this?
> >
> In the version 2.6.12 of the kernel, there is module to control the LCD
> backlight (option CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT). The default in Debian
> is not to compile it.
>
> I tried to recompile the kernel and load the module lcd.ko, but nothing
> changed. Am I missing some other step?
>
> Halva

Hi Halva,

the lcd module is not the backlight module. The module managing
backlight is named backlight. ;)

marc@stiffy:~$ lsmod | egrep "backlight|lcd"
backlight               5632  0
lcd                     5504  0
marc@stiffy:~$ modinfo lcd
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.13-rc3marc/kernel/drivers/video/backlight/lcd.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Jamey Hicks <jamey.hicks@hp.com>, Andrew Zabolotny <zap@homelink.ru>
vermagic:       2.6.13-rc3marc preempt PENTIUM4 gcc-4.0
depends:
srcversion:     AAD8CEEFA606C2E60CEED56
marc@stiffy:~$ modinfo backlight
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.13-rc3marc/kernel/drivers/video/backlight/backlight.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Jamey Hicks <jamey.hicks@hp.com>, Andrew Zabolotny <zap@homelink.ru>
vermagic:       2.6.13-rc3marc preempt PENTIUM4 gcc-4.0
depends:
srcversion:     00C461844F501546C5E6E9D
marc@stiffy:~$

Regards,