Re: Thin high-pitched noise on Inspiron 510m with the ACPI "processor" module

* Stuart Prescott <debian@nanonanonano.net> [2005-07-27 18:36:31 +1000]:

> Hi JB,
>
> I can confirm this one with my HP nx7010 (Centrino processor).
>
> it seems to be something to do with the processor going into sleep modes
> to save power. There has been significant discussion on kerneltrap,org
> about this recently related to the proposals to change the HZ value in
> the kernel. The suggestion has been made that it has to do with poor
> quality components (capacitors were blamed, IIRC) in the power supplies
> that tend to buzz as the power consumption goes up and down.
>
> One thing that I have found is that if I increase the load on the
> processor or plug in some USB devices (which presumably does the same
> thing) then it goes away...
>
> So if you're feeling like some further experimenting.... does it buzz
> under 2.4 kernels? (HZ=100 in 2.4 series). If you feel like recompiling
> your kernel, try changing the value for HZ in the headers back to 100
> and see what that does for you.
>
> I'd quite like to nail this one down too, but I think we need a number
> of people with different machines (and lots of time for recompiling
> kernels...) to be able to come up with some definitive empirical
> understanding of what's going on. (and it seems that kernel hackers
> don't use laptops so they've never noticed this)
>
> cheers
> Stuart

Hi folks,

I use a DELL Inspiron 8200 over here. My laptop makes noise, as well,
but if I pull out the battery it is just silent. After pluging it back
in, the noise is still gone but will probably come back if the battery
is not 100% charged.

Regards,
Marc