Re: Best "network manager"

Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:47:55AM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
>> For your wireless one, you'll use either waproamd or wpa_supplicant.
>
> When I'm away from my home lan I create an ssh tunnel from localhost
> port 2525 to port 25 on my mail machine so sending mail still works.
> That also means I have to update my exim.conf file's smarthost setting
> to deliver all mail to localhost:2525.
>
> Is anyone doing something in a similar way, yet automated -- or
> perhaps has a better suggestion?  I haven't looked at it yet, but I
> suppose SMTP AUTH or some other authentication method would be less
> work when connecting from different locations.

Maybe I'm just being particularly dense today, but is there really a problem
with maintaining the SSH tunnel even when localhost and your mail host are
the same machine?  Then you always connect to port 2525.  There's some
overhead, but as long as you're not a spammer it probably isn't
excessive :-)
--
derek