Re: Best "network manager"

Felix Obenhuber wrote:

try whereami. Nice script colletion for determining your "location".

Thomas Hood wrote:

ifplugd + ifupdown + guessnet is currently the most sound solution.

I think I tried one of these some time back and found that, at the time, it determined its location by looking at the IP address it got through DHCP or by looking at the IP's of some of the traffic it sensed on the interface. This might work well for wired interfaces (although less so these days with the prevalence of switches), but they fail completely for any wireless situation involving encryption, where the encryption key must be provided before any significant interaction with the network (like looking at IP addresses of other packets?) takes place.

So, when considering a package, make sure you investigate whether they seem more geared toward wired or wireless networks. waproamd and wpa_supplicant are, as far as I can tell, entirely for wireless.

- Joe