Re: Slow boot with Kernel 2.6.12, why? Incredible slow.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:54:34 +1000
Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:
> > I was using 2.6.11 kernel on my Vaio Picturebook, and I had some
> > outstanding issues with ACPI, so I wanted to install the 2.6.12
> > kernel. As I didnt find a debian specific 2.6.12 kernel, I grabbed
> > the one from Kernel.org, the latest stable one. I compiled it, and
> > before compiling, I imported the already working config file of my
> > 2.6.11 compile. I quickly double checked that all entries are
> > correct, and I compiled. The machine boots, just incredibly slowly.
> > Unbelievable slowly. The 2.6.11 is slow also, compare to 2.4 kernels
> > on this laptop, but still it is done in 1min40secs. BUt the 2.6.12
> > is 4min5secs. Why would that be? There are no errors, etc. Just
> > really slow booting. Does all the same, just slowly.
>
> Are you using udev?  You need the latest udev packages, as I
> understand it, or the thing has to time out *every* transaction on the
> .12 kernels. This is caused by an upstream API change.
>
> udev from unstable should correct this, as I understand it.
>
> Otherwise, can you tell us *where* in the boot process things are
> slow?
Hi

The first 10 or so seconds go fine and when it comes to modules it gets
slow. And yes, I am not using UDEV, as I wanted to eliminate as many
packages as possible, so that I can get the fastest possible working
mode. If UDEV is in fact necessary, I will install and check.

Thanks

Benedek