Re: new debian user trouble with dwl-650 wireless network card

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:14:57AM -0500, Dan Elliott wrote:
> Andrew McMillan wrote:
>> On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 21:22 -0500, Dan Elliott wrote:
>>> Assuming I have surmised the correct Rev, dlink says my card uses the
>>> Prism chip set.  According to Andrew's post the card should work with
>>> the installation as is?  That has not been my experience.

> Apparently, the card is not being detected.  After inserting the card
> (inserted after boot) iwconfig returns "no wireless extensions."

>>  There are actually two sets of drivers
>> for the Prism cards
[...]
>> Do you get modules loaded when you plug the card in?  What does "lsmod"
>> say before / after?

> No change :-/
>
> I'm currently updating to the latest testing branch.  How concerned
> should I be that the machine didn't seem to detect the device?
>
> Thanks for the help thus far.  I will be careful to install the
> wireless-tools and probably anything else associated with wireless cards.

You won't have wireless extensions without the appropriate module loaded,
so that is no surprise.

For Prism2 cards you want either the hostap modules or the
linux-wlan-ng modules.  You can run "apt-cache search hostap-modules" and
"apt-cache search linux-wlan-ng-moudles" to find out the names of the
packages containing the modules for your particular Debian kernel.