Shutdown problem with Sarge on a Thinkpad T42

Hi,

I am a new Debian Linux user, from Vietnam.

I've just installed Debian Sarge on my IBM Thinkpad T42. My system works well except a problem with the shutdown process. When I shutdown the machine from menu Logout of KDE or GNOME, or with command shutdown or halt, the machine stops only the monitor and hard disk. I must push and hold some seconds on the power button to shutdown completely the machine. :(

I don't know how to configure the module ACPI to automatically shutdown completely my laptop without having to press the power button.

I am using Linux kernel 2.6.8. Module ACPI has installed.

Can anyone show me the reason ? Thank you very much for your help.

LE Hong Phuong