Re: Attaching to a remote desktop?

On 29/06/05, Jorge Tomé Hernando <jorge@jorgetome.info> wrote:

> On Wed, June 29, 2005 11:34, Arjen Verweij said:
> > L.S.,
> >
> > I'm looking for a mechanism to connect to a machine that runs Debian. My
> > client (laptop) runs Debian SID. Basically I want some sort of VNC that
> > will give me the desktop the user at the workstation is seeing, not a
> > fresh one.
> >
> > I only have experience with VNC/rdesktop to Windows machines, and didn't
> > stop to think that it might not work the same way when the VNC server
> > was on a Debian box.
> >
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> VNC works in Linux in the same way that in MS Windows. I think that it is
> all you need.

It doesn't actually

On windows it grabs the desktop, on linux it connects to an already
running vnc/x session. This means that on windows you will get access
to the desktop as it is seen at the local machine, but on linux you
get to see a different desktop.

e.g. on a linux box you locally connect to desktop :0, but when you
start vnc server you will start it on desktop :1, which you connect to
remotely, a different desktop.

Cheers,
Al.