Attaching to a remote desktop?

L.S.,

I'm looking for a mechanism to connect to a machine that runs Debian. My client (laptop) runs Debian SID. Basically I want some sort of VNC that will give me the desktop the user at the workstation is seeing, not a fresh one.

I only have experience with VNC/rdesktop to Windows machines, and didn't stop to think that it might not work the same way when the VNC server was on a Debian box.

Regards,

Arjen Verweij