Re: Sony Vaio S4HP

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:43:30 +0200
Miroslav Maiksnar <ml@mixi.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am considering purchase of Vaio S4HP notebook, but I am not sure
> with its  linux support. I googled out it should be generally usable
> with linux, but  not a word about ACPI (suspend to RAM and/or HDD),
> battery life and docking  station support. Have you any practical
> expirience with any of S4 (and maybe  S3 also) Vaios? It will be much
> helpful before I spend some 1600 EUR for this  one :o)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Mixi

Hi Mixi,

There are a lot of information about Sony laptops and Linux  on the
following two pages. Actually your chosen laptop is not there, but I am
sure there are notebooks, that share a similar hardware setup, at least
similarities.

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/sony.html

http://tuxmobil.org/sony.html

My Sony is also listed on both, a PCG-C1VRX/K, which might be not very
similar, but worth checking, just for giggles. I think you may find
information, that might help you to go further. You need to make sure
the Wireless Card is supported, and that may be in any other Sonys as
well, as far as ACPI goes, that is different with any machines. I had
many laptops, but sooner or later I could make them Suspend to Ram and
Disk all of them.

THat is all I can help you, I hope there are some smarter replies as
well.

Ben