Re: Which laptop?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:35:07AM -0500, Willie McKemie wrote:
> I've been messing with Compaq Armadas (73xx, 78xx, 7400, 7800) quite
> some time and haven't been able to get everything to work at one time.
> USB is broken under kernels 2.6.x.  PCMCIA tends to not work under
> 2.4.x and in certain cases (new Ubuntu at least) a Debian 2.4.x kernel
> package fails to run X.
>
> So, I'm shopping for slightly more modern, but still modestly priced,
> laptop.  Who can comment on Debian on Dell Latitude C600 or similar?
> Compaq EVOs?  These are generally available "off lease", sans microsoft
> tax, for ~$350.

So, I got this C600 thanks to a bit of encouragement here.  Very nice,
1400x1000 display.  The new Ubuntu installed with no trouble.
Everything seems to work, even sound.  It finally dawned on me that,
with Ubuntu, sound does not work for the root user, but does for a
"normal" user.  Anyone know why that is?  And how to fix it?

The combination "eraser head" AND "touch pad" pointer is driving me
crazy; I am always inadvertently touching the touch pad and having the
pointer doing unexpected things.  The bios has some pointer options,
but none seem to disable the touch pad while allowing the eraser head.
Anyone else have that problem?  And a solution?

Several times the X pointer has locked up.  Pointer can not be moved
and buttons have no effect.  Restarting X does not fix it.  Rebooting
does.  Anyone else have that problem?  And a solution?

Has the spam situation here improved?  Or have my spam filters just
improved?

The "low resource" discussion has been of much interest to me.  Thanks
to the posters!

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!