Re: Which laptop? & audio CD on Armada 7400

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:35:07AM -0500, Willie McKemie wrote:
> I've been messing with Compaq Armadas (73xx, 78xx, 7400, 7800) quite
> some time and haven't been able to get everything to work at one time.
> USB is broken under kernels 2.6.x.  PCMCIA tends to not work under
> 2.4.x and in certain cases (new Ubuntu at least) a Debian 2.4.x kernel
> package fails to run X.
>
> So, I'm shopping for slightly more modern, but still modestly priced,
> laptop.  Who can comment on Debian on Dell Latitude C600 or similar?
> Compaq EVOs?  These are generally available "off lease", sans microsoft
> tax, for ~$350.

Thanks to all who responded.  With a bit more confidence than I had, I
ordered a Latitude C600.  I understand I will likely have to use the
vesa X server.  Not sure what, if any, problems that will present.
Probably, more questions later.

I've been attempting to play audio CDs on this Armada 7400 without
success.  With Ubuntu Gnome "CD Player", the CD is detected, but
doesn't play.  With "Sound Juicer", the tracks are listed, but when
"extract" is selected, it tells me:
Sound Juicer could not extract this CD.
Reason: Could not open CD device for reading.
I've looked at permissions on /dev/hdb and the like, but find nothing
amiss.  SOME other sound works, including "Music Player".  Help?

--
Willie