Re: new debian user trouble with dwl-650 wireless network card

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 15:44 -0500, Dan Elliott wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am relatively new to Debian.  I have Debian Woody installed on an IBM
> Thinkpad.  I have a D-Link DWL-650 wireless ethernet card.  I have found
> information via Google which seems to indicate Woody should support this
> device.
>
> Given that I am new, I am looking for advice on where to begin to find a
> solution to my problem.

It may, and it may not.  If it's an earlier DWL 650 then it is a Prism
chipset and will work just fine.  For later models they switched to (I
think) the ACX100 chipset, which is poorly supported, although there
appears to be an open-source effort around for it more recently that
might get you going.

Your best starting point is Jean Tourrilhes pages here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

There is an acx100-source package in Debian, so you should be able to
build the kernel + modules, if that's what you need to do.

Good luck,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
  Beauty:
        What's in your eye when you have a bee in your hand.