Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On 6/21/05, Benedek Frank <linux@celifornia.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2005 19:34, Tom Olson wrote:

> I am pretty happy now, but I am open for other suggestions. I kind of like
> having a battery meter, and a volume controll, etc on my desktop. That is why
> I settled for XFCE, but if there is a faster one, I am all for it.

I'm using icewm and it is *fast* and functional.   You mentioned
seeing a slow down in performance when going from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel.
This is the opposite of my experience.
I find 2.6 much faster than 2.4.  Strange...

My setup is a 570E thinkpad PIII 500MHz with just 128MB RAM.

You've got 26(or so) S* entries in your rc.2/ directory.  With that
many start up scripts... booting is going to take a long time.  My
Thinkpad does a great job of suspending, so I don't necessarily have
to reboot all the time.

--
Regards,
dbp