Re: Knoppix and apt-update / upgrade

On Saturday 11 June 2005 00:43, jiri svoboda was heard to say:
> When I use apt-get update / upgrade funny things will happen
> with the Knoppix HD Install.

The one time I tried converting a Knoppix install, it took several
cycles of apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade to get nearly to pure
Sid, with lots of legacy Knoppix only packages still there.

The best use of Knoppix in in my experience in terms of installation
is first to see if Knoppix can detect all the hardware. Then I
*write*it*down* for later references, what modules are loaded, I save
the /etc/X11/XF86config-4 file, and such.

Then I use that information (and the entire XF86config-4 file) when
doing a vanilla Debian install.

Knoppix hardware detection has been very useful for downgrading new
PCs from XP (puke!) to Win2K (lesser puke). Win2K cannot detect the
newer hardware.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001