Re: R4025 Laptop

On 6/5/05, Frederick Royce Perez . <frederickroyceperez@mac.com> wrote:
>  Like Chris I am attempting to install on a laptop , aToshiba Satellite
> 1805-S254,  either debian-30r5-alpha-binary-1_NONUS.iso ,
> debian-30r5-sparc-binary-1.iso , KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso . Are these
> the proper images to burn ? How do I affect the Toshiba Satellite 1805-S254
> so it will comply and recognise these system modifications ? I find the
> System Information impenetrable to my efforts to comprehend as to how to
> boot to the CD . I find it appears in " My Computer " as a CD in the "
> Devices with Removable Storage " , along with a 3.5 Floppy (A:) . I might be
> sympathetic to trying Knoppix as intermediate step to learning without
> modifying the OS immediately . However I am stuck in a XP environment which
> seems to defeat every observation inclined to manipulate the computer . This
> includes installing a Knoppix CD and no apparent access to its information .
> The disks do not appear on the desktop nor when observed in Toshiba Console
> are they viable as the helpful pop menu's tell me window cannot open this
> file . A little help here might just be a great big help here , Frederick
>
> On Jun 5, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Chris Swanson wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I have this compaq r4025 laptop (it is an amd 64).  I cannot seem to
> get Linux on it (Debian or otherwise).  When I try to boot off an
> install CD it gets about as far as initializing the framebuffer and
> then hangs.  I tried the "nofb" kernel option (also I think the debian
> option is vga16:no or something like that) and this keeps the video
> from locking, but the system still hangs.
>
> Has anyone successfully gotten Debian up and running on a laptop like
> this?  I know the built in graphics card (it's an ATI 200m) has some
> compatibility issues.  Even the vesa driver would be fine with me
> though, I am just bummed to be running windows on my nice new laptop.
>
> Also has anyone gotten the 64 bit disto working on this (or any)
> laptop?  Maybe it would be better to ask in debian-amd64 but since it
> is a laptop also...
>
> Another thing:  Knoppix 3.6 boots and runs fine, so I know it is
> possible.  I just can't figure what it is doing differently to prevent
> a crash.
>
> Chris

Frederick,

I've noticed on my laptop that when I tell windows to hibernate, it
will not boot from a CD.  Make sure you shut the computer down for
real.  (Anyone know why this is??)

Also (sorry if you've already done this), but make sure the boot order
is set correctly in the laptop's bios.  When the system first starts,
try pressing esc, f2, del, etc. to see if it lets you into setup mode.
 Then check that it is set to boot first from the cdrom drive.

For the ISO image, you need to find an x86 version.  The sparc and
alpha are for different architectures.
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html#s-install-cd

good luck