Re: New toshutils package

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 00:41, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> I am using only a Debian provided kernel-source package from Sarge.
> I compile own, though.  Are you using a kernel-image directly from
> Debian?

No, I have exactly the same (self-compiled kernel based on Debian
kernel-source with CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m).

But from http://memebeam.org/toys/ExperimentalToshibaAcpiDriver:

  Question: Will this experimental driver ever be rolled into the
  mainstream kernel? I've been using toshiba_acpi_0.18-dev_toshiba_test4
  for nearly a year, without any problems.

  The driver is stable, but the issue is that the original toshiba driver
  "owns" the /dev/toshiba device, and I'm not sure if it's ok for my
  driver to co-opt it. Also, it's not clear to me how distributions will
  configure which module gets loaded when a program accesses /dev/toshiba.

And if I look at the kernel source, I don't see this [1] patch in
toshiba_acpi.c, so I do not have /dev/toshiba and /proc/toshiba that seem
to be needed for toshset; just the /proc/acpi/toshiba from the "official"
toshiba_acpi.c.

[1]http://memebeam.org/free-software/toshiba_acpi/toshiba_acpi_0.18-dev_toshiba_test4.patch

Cheers,
Frans