Does i8k work for dell inspiron 600M?

Hi,

I've been using debian/linux for a while now, and never worried about
i8k before.  However it'd be nice if I get both the volume and
mute/unmute special buttons and also corresponding FN-keys to work...

Problem is that although I compiled kernel 2.6.11.8 with I8K support:

CONFIG_I8K=y

I don't see it under /proc/i8k at all.  Has some one made this thing
work for inspiron 600M?

When executing i8kbuttons of course there'll be a problem due to the
lack of the kernel support:

% i8kbuttons
unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k

I've attached my kernel config file in case there's something missing
to make i8k work...

Thanks,

--
Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas