Re: managing ethernet and wireless interfaces

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 09.46, sime wrote:
> I would like to know how linux laptop users are managing multiple
> interfaces (eth and wifi).

[...]

> Additionally if you are using any other packages for managing multiple
> interfaces please let me know!

Basically what I'm doing is this:
- using wpa_supplicant to associate my wireless card with the appropriate
access point
- using ifplugd to detect when an ethernet cable is connected and when the
wireless card gets associated (by wpa_supplicant). When any of that
happens ifplugd will call ifup ethx for the appropriate interface
- both my wireless and ethernet device is set up in /etc/network/interfaces
as:
iface ethx inet dhcp
(Note: no wireless parameters are necessary because association is handled
by wpa_supplicant)
This could be improved by adding mappings if dhcp is not suitable.

Regards,
Zsolt