managing ethernet and wireless interfaces

I would like to know how linux laptop users are managing multiple interfaces (eth and wifi).

I use ethernet with DHCP regardless of location. Wireless one location WEP, other location WPA.

By choice none of my interfaces are initialised on boot. I prefer to bring them up using ifup(8).

Below is essentially my /etc/network/interfaces file:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp		# Wireless
        hostname tempest
        wireless-essid blah
        wireless-nick blah
        wireless-key blah

iface eth1 inet dhcp		# Ethernet

After managing to get WPA to work, I started hacking around in interfaces(5) but got no where. Now if I action `ifup eth0` with the eth1 line commented out I get:
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8

If the ethernet cable is plugged in, it will get the DHCPACK:
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.117 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.

Why is eth1 making DHCPREQUEST ? Further it would be great if someone chould show how the mapping works as I am getting no results. Additionally if you are using any other packages for managing multiple interfaces please let me know!

-sime