tosh libretto apm / battery / disk woes

Hi,

Tosh Libretto 110CT running Debian testing.
Boot with acpi=off to get apm supported, but:

- beeps every second or so with the battery removed
- apm reports 0% critical for a battery that reports 100% in another libretto
- "apm -s" fails everytime.

Any ideas?  It's a new 40GB harddisk.  I left a partition on the disk
from ~8000Mb to 9000Mb empty for hibernation.  I'm wondering if that
was goofy and it is using another section of the disk.  Anyone know
how to figure out which part of a large disk it'll use?

Thanks