Re: Awakening from suspend-to-mem

Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 23:01 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand why you people are taking so much of pain automating a
>> lot of stuff using scripts.
>> I presume most notebook users would be using GUI on it (Probably KDE).
>>
>> KDE's klaptopdaemon is excellent in handling all this suspend/resume
>> stuff for you. I've been using it for months now without any problem.
>
> I seriously doubt the "Probably KDE" comment!  I have a Gnome desktop
> myself, and AFAICS the two are roughly equal in popularity :-)

GNOME too might be having something similar.

> The reason I have a script for suspend / resume is to ensure a couple of
> things happen:
>
> 1) xscreensaver locks my screen on suspend.  For security reasons I
> don't want my login session to be resumable if someone steals my laptop
> while it is suspended.

klaptopdaemon has the option "Lock & Suspend", "Suspend", "Lock &
Hibernate", "Hibernate"

> 3) From time to time there have been issues with suspend / resume and
> either alsa or hotplug, and I have found it useful to script around
> these issues.

I'm lucky enough to not have faced any such problem :-)

> Also, if you got the impression that those scripts are actually run by
> hand, you are being naive...

I don't agree. If there's something already ready why try doing kiddie
stuff. If you still are tempted you can download the klaptopdaemon sources
and patch it to your requirements. I find it feature comprehensive.

> /etc/acpi/events/lid:
> # This is called when the user closes the lid
> event=button[ /]lid
> action=/etc/acpi/suspend_to_ram.sh

I disabled it in acpid. This is handled well in klaptopdaemon.

> /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn:
> # /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn
> # This is called when the user presses the power button and calls
> # /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh for further processing.
>
> # Optionally you can specify the placeholder %e. It will pass
> # through the whole kernel event message to the program you've
> # specified.
>
> event=button[ /]power
> action=/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh

I hope you might have disabled the functionality of the powerbtn too

> Which is all only mildly modified from the default stuff installed by
> the acpid package.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew McMillan.

Regards,