Re: Debian on LG's LW60 notebook

On 20 Apr 2005, François TOURDE wrote:
> Le 12893ième jour après Epoch,
> Ryan Heise écrivait:
>
>> In case someone finds it useful, I created a webpage describing how to
>> get Debian working on an LW60:
>>
>> http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~rheise/LW60/
>
> This kind of doc is always useful :)
>
> Try to put your link on tuxmobil.org ...
>
>> I tried upgrading
>> debian to "unstable" to try out kernel-image-2.6.11-1-686
>
> You don't need to migrate the whole system to unstable. Use apt-get
> pinning for some packages only.

This is generally a *really* bad idea.  It works OK for some very leaf
packages, but you eventually end up in a situation where things get in a
real mess, or where you get most of testing/unstable anyway.[1]

What you probably want is either to move to testing/unstable entirely,
or to use stable plus the stuff from http://backports.org/.

They take packages from /unstable and compile them into a /stable
environment.  That way, upgrade the specific packages you need doesn't
bring the rest of your system part, or all, the way into /unstable.

If you /do/ decide to go with /unstable or /testing, two key tools are
the 'apt-listchanges' and 'apt-listbugs' packages.  They tell you what
is going to change, and what bugs have already been reported, *before*
you install packages.  Very helpful.

      Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Something you want depends on the new perl/python, which depends on
     the new libc, which forcibly upgrades a bunch of stuff.

--
We're all out there, somewhere, waiting to happen.
        -- Jeff Noon, _Vurt_