Re: Problems with /etc/interfaces

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:10:16 +0200, Tim Murison wrote:
> I want to be able to tell /etc/interfaces to only auto enable the
> wireless card, without knowing what that device is.

You mean /etc/network/interfaces, I presume.

> I know how to retrieve the device's name on boot (/proc/net/wireless),
> but I cannot figure out how to combine that knowledge with the rest of
> the /etc/interfaces stuff.

The name assigned to a network interface by the kernel can differ from
occasion to occasion.

There are various ways to deal with this fact.

The easiest way is to install and set up ifrename so that the name
assigned by the kernel ('wifi0' or whatever) is changed to something else
(e.g., 'wifi_a') that is always the same for that card.

--
Thomas Hood