kernel 2.6.10 and no sound

All,
	I've poked around via google, and have found several reports of this
issue, however the fixes stated do not seem to work for me. I do not
have a 'headphone line sense' or other 'line sense' mixer setting to
mute.

	Like others, my applications are convinced they are playing sound, yet
no sound comes out of my speakers (yep, they're on!) Sound worked fine
before upgrading to the 2.6.10 kernel, and I've since removed the old
2.4 kernel before I noticed this issue (/ space limitations necessitated
it's removal - long story).

	Has anyone else had and dealt with this issue?

Thanks,
Christopher