no floppy controller found

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150, with one of these external floppy drives.
The floppy drive works fine under windows xp, and I also used it
without problems when installing debian the first time.  However,
debian linux is not recognizing it.

"mount /dev/fd0 /floppy" yields this in dmesg:

,----
| inserting floppy driver for 2.4.27-1-386
| devfs_mk_dir(floppy): using old entry in dir: c12cb320 ""
| floppy0: no floppy controllers found
`----

I have browsed some related postings, but am still not sure how to
proceed.  Any pointers/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cyp