wireless on Averatec rt2500 chipset
ok, I seem to be missing something...
Trying to install rt2500 drivers for a wireless nic on an Averatec 5500
running Debian Sarge
following these directions
1) Plug in the card and check lspci to see that it is recognised (Listed as
Network controller: Ralink
2) Check uname -a to see which kernel version you are running
3) Install the kernel-headers package that exactly matches your kernel
4) Download and extract (tar -xzf) the ralink driver
5) cd to the Modules subdirectory
6) (For version 1.1 of the driver just make - no need for steps 6-8) cp
2.6.x/Makefile . (the supplied Makefile for the 1.0 driver is for 2.4.x)
I'm using 1.1, so I just need "make" which tells me:
"/lib/modules/2.4.27-speakup/build/Rules.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target
There is no "build" folder for the Rules.make to be in...
I've tried an empty "Rules.make" file in a build dir I made, but it seems to
need some rules to be in the Rules file, go figure...
How do I find or make Rules.make?
I would greatly appreciate knowing what to do/try next. I have tried the
other steps on the directions page, as well as what ideas I could find
elsewhere, (such as the "empty. Rules.make file)