Problems with Crystal cs4237b solved (sorta)

One day it struck me that I could try oss instead of alsa.

I commented out "alias cs4232 off" in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. Then I rebooted,
and the driver was loaded correctly and I could play music through the oss output
plugin in xmms.

I dunno what made it work, because I think I had oss sound in the beginning, which
didn't work well. Xmms looped the first 0.5 seconds, and other players played it in
other ways, but none correctly. That was what made me post to this list a few months
ago. Now, it worked flawlessly.

There may be one thing that made the difference. While trying to get alsa to work,
I commented out "include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x1000-0x17ff" in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts,
as suggested on http://www.acqualan.com.br/misc/cs4237b.html. I did not do anything
else suggested on that page.

A funny thing is, the alsa maintainers closed my bug report with the argument that it's
probably a problem of my specific system. This proves the opposite, because it works
without any problem with oss.

Regards, Alexander Toresson