Re: compiling kernels newer than 2.6.8

That is all well and good but where is this cramfs patch? It
definitely does not exist in the kernel-patch package and if you look
for the lines that need to be changed they already are in vanilla
kernels greater than 2.6.1. Is this is not moot then for newer
kernels.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:18:19 +0100
Kai Hildebrandt <kai.hildebrandt@web.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:10:00 -0400
> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
> > Well, I have a debian-source 2.6.7 and a vanilla-source 2.4.27, I've
> > compiled them both, both configured with CONFIG_CRAMFS=y and compiled
> > with "make-kpkg --initrd" and (a) they both have an initrd file; (b)
> > they boot :-); (c) my main file systems are indeed compiled into the
> > kernel, but I'm pretty sure I tried both of these _without_ an initrd
> > and couldn't boot them.  Possibly, I'm wrong on that - I just compile
> > these things, I don't claim to understand them :-)  I _did_ think that
> > if it even offered me a CONFIG_CRAMFS option, it must have the
> > "cramfs" patch.--
> > derek
> >
> OK, again:
>
> cramfs _is_ part of the vanilla kernel. But with vanilla kernels it is
> not possible to use a cramfs on an initrd if it is not patched against
> the debian kernel patch. make-kpkg explicitly warns you about this if
> you are using the --initrd option.
>
> You can read more about this issue here:
>

> Regards
>   Kai
>

> --

Loren A. Linden Levy
481 Loomis, Department of Physics
1110 W. Green St., Urbana, IL 61801-3080
Tel:   217-244-7995   Fax: 217-333-1215
Email: lindenle@uiuc.edu
url:   http://w3.physics.uiuc.edu/~lindenle/
This email has been cryptographically signed.
Search for "lindenle" at pgp.mit.edu
to obtain my public key which can be used
to verify the authenticity of this message.