Re: compiling kernels newer than 2.6.8

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:19:58 -0400
Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 February 2005 08:52, Dale Harris wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:08:57PM +0100, Kai Hildebrandt
> > elucidated:
> > > It is true that debian patch the kernel sources  with a cramfs
> > > patch. Without that patch you won't be able to use initrd with the
> > > mkinitrd *default configuration*!
> >
> > This is perhaps the case with 2.4 kernel.  2.6 kernels have cramfs
> > included in the vanilla kernel.
>
> I don't think it's even true with 2.4.  I'm sure I've used vanilla
> kernels and, despite the warning, got a working initrd.  "make-kpkg
> --initrd..."--

Hard to believe because cramfs only works with debian patched
kernelsources. Even the vanilla-kernel 2.6.10 does not support cramfs on
initrd.

Probably your initrd is not needed to mount the root filesystem? Check
you dmesg output!

I searched for that cramfs debian patch but it is really hard to find
and is called "a dirty hack".

So I 'm using romfs and the vanilla kernel because I need an
recent version of the kernel with thinkpad acpi support.

  Kai