Advice needed: Accessing usb storage

Hi,

I'm a linux newbie, need advice on how to access my usb thumb drive and
external cd burner. Below are the informations from dmesg when i plug
in those peripherals. Do i need to manually execute the mount command
after the devices are inserted? If yes, can somebody tell me what
parameter to use for the mount command? I'm running Sarge, kernal 2.6.8
on Toshiba Satellite 2410

dmesg from my USB thumb drive:
==============================
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
  Vendor: Kingston  Model: DataTraveler 2.0  Rev: 4.70
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

dmesg from my external cd burner:
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
  Vendor: ASUS      Model: CRW-5224A         Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 52x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 3

Many thanks for the advices.

- Rony -