my kde sound problem

Hi,

I'm a linux newbie, installed Sarge on my Toshiba laptop before. Thanks
to this mailing list for helping me a lot that time. About a month ago,
i miraculously mess up the kernel/lilo/whatever when using aptitude to
auto upgrade the kernel.

Now i'm making a clean install again, using the Debian installer r2. So
far so good, but seems have problem with the sound. When i'm playing
mp3 using XMMS, it would stop after playing few songs and popup a
dialog to inform me to check if the sound is not blocked. I'm using
OSS. Any idea what's wrong? And everytime i exit KMix, it displayed an
err dialog box.

Which one is more advance, ALSA or OSS (mm.. should be able to tell
from the name:)? Remember i use ALSA for my prev installation. But now
cannot. What must i do to use ALSA again? Which kernel module to use?
What package must i install? I'm using kernel 2.6.8.

Thanks very much for the advices.

- Rony -