Re: Laptop recomendation?

Peter <peter@bsqt.homeip.net> writes:

> I installed took a kernel.org 2.6.10, with the latest ipw and acpi patches
> from sf.net, and as of yesterday, I have at least S1 and S3 suspend/resume,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 and I have been trying to get S3 working
on it for over a year now without success. The video (radeon card)
does seems to lock up everytime I wake up from S3 (Suspend to
RAM). How did you get around that problem?

> It is now a great linux laptop, provided you are willing to build your own
> kernel.  Most of the special keys work, although I haven't figured out the
> volume & mute keys yet.   Have not tried the burner yet (have lots of

Have you looked at i8kutils yet? You can configure the volume and mute
buttons. Look at /usr/share/doc/i8kutils/examples/setmixer.sh for more
information. If I remember correctly you can  also configure GNOME to
use the volume and mute keys.