Re: HD problem, Debian Sarge 2.6.9, 30GB IBM HD

On my IBM Laptop, that had happened to me with an external drive hooked up via
USB. I heard several clicks in the rapid succession, suggesting perhaps
thrashing heads. It turns out that the hard drive was flaky and had to be
replaced.

If the kernel is diabling the DMA to your HD, then you may have the same
problem. I find even a good USB hard drive is notoriously slow at any rate.

Paul