Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

On Sunday 26 December 2004 02:58 pm, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:10:56 +0100, Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Choose Debian if you want freedom, modularity, APT, and attention to
> > technical detail.  Choose Libranet or Ubuntu if you want all of the
> > above plus easier installation and configuration, minus some freedom.
> > Choose RedHat if you want to use what the majority of corporate users of
> > GNU/Linux are using.
>
> All excellent points.  What I am looking for in a distro is simple:
>
> 1. I want a Linux-based kernel and I do not mind paying for it;
>
> 2. I do not want my machine to be a sandbox for other developers.  I
> do not want to update my machine only to find that something has been
> changed or is now broken.  Hence, my reason for being on FC2 with an
> outdated kernel for so long.  It works;;
>
> 3. I do not necessarily need the most bleeding edge software.  In wait
> until it's fully baked; and,
>
> 4. I want a distro with a solid developer and user community backing it.
>
> I am the typical M$ developer, in the process of moving to Linux.  I
> need to be able to concentrate first on understanding the underlying
> OS and to be able to code for it.  I would rather do this on a stable
> platform so if something breaks, that I did it.
>
> As I write this, and read what I am writing, I am quite tempted to go
> and pay for Red Hat WS.  However, I just cannot bring myself to do
> that so easily.  The last time I paid them money was for a retail copy
> of RH9 only to find out two weeks later that they killed it off for
> Fedora.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Thanx,
> Ryan

Hi Ryan,

If you dont need any multimedia applications that are up to date and do not
need the easy installer, and look for a very (rock) stable distro for writing
code, I would go with Debian Woody. With that you will never have a broken
package experience, etc. You can write your codes in peace. If you however
want to have a better user experience, multimedia, etc etc, I would go with
the NEW Sarge and it's installer. That is what I use on my laptop as I write
and is a very reliable thing. I wouldnt go with woody on a workstation or
laptop, as it offers very little on the entertainment side. I also have SID
on my workstation, but that does brake from time to time.

Woody, I have on my server, and is reliable as nothing else. I cannot
complain. I run APACHE and PROFTPD on it, SSH etc, and servers me perfectly.

Knoppix I know, and do not prefer. It takes the Adventure out of linux in my
opinion.

Ben